Sheep - Dream meaning and symbolism
Main symbolic meaning
- Conformity, submission – Sheep are easily herded (more facts). To dream about sheep is usually associated with passivity, apathy, agreement and easygoingness.
- Valuable asset – Sheep are materially valuable, because they give us meat, milk and wool.
- Quietness, obedience – People consider the nature of sheep as simplistic, thanks to the lack of initiative. Sheep symbolize the opposite of strong will, creative powers and leadership (prey for wolf).
- Regeneration (lamb) – Sheep are born in springtime. We call them lambs. At that time of the year, the grass gets green and whole nature is awaking from the winter sleep. Thus, sheep is one of the animal symbols of regeneration.
- Stubbornness (ram) – Ram is an adult male sheep. Wild rams are battering in the mountains. Their head-to-head clashes may resemble loud expressions of pagan gods (anger and passion, fight, disagreement ...) Ram is symbolic for special strength of mind.
White sheep, with its snowy fleece, is a symbol for obedient and non-conflicting behaviour. If you dream about white sheep, it usually means that your life is influenced by passive and quiet attitude. Be careful and try to think about who the white sheep is (whom it symbolizes)? Is it a symbol for your own personal features? Is it rather someone else? Is the meaning accepted or rejected? Do not forget to take into account all alternative meanings such as regeneration, spiritual purity or even material wealth in rural areas.
Black sheep is an obvious counterpart of the prevailing white sheep. The meaning of black sheep is therefore: an exception or some striking abnormality. If you dream about black sheep, maybe you or someone else wants to step out of the crowd (to be a true nonconformist or an eccentric person). But, only in the case, your dream is accompanied by pleasant feeling. On the other hand, if you are afraid of the blackness of the sheep, it simply means, you do not welcome strange and different features in your life. The black sheep may symbolize a rare talent, your family situation, social status, illness or disability.
Newborn sheep (Lamb)
Lamb is the symbol for new beginning. If you dream about lamb, it means there is a creative and healing potential at your disposal. Try to use it wisely. Lamb is the symbol for innocence as well. To dream about lamb means metaphorically to wish achieving innocence and spiritual purification.
Horned sheep (Ram)
Ram is one from the zodiac symbols called Aries (more). Dream about ram means facing a stubborn, passionate and courageous will (battle of hierarchy).
It is the “end of the road”. You have to start again, to find new way or new starting point (reset). Read more about death. Consider also that the dead sheep may symbolize the end of your submission, quietness and obedience. The dream meaning may well sound: the end of some unwanted personal features and characteristics.
Mythology and fairytales
- “Lamb of God” is a symbolical name for Jesus. He was led like a lamb to the slaughter for our sins and God is the shepherd ("Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world").
- Golden fleece shines like sun. The fleece is a symbol of authority and kingship. It is part of the Greek tale of the hero Jason and his crew of Argonauts.
Sheep in Art
Paintings and sculptures
- Mathis Gothart Grünewald, John the Baptist, John the Apostle, cca 1512 – 1516
- Jan Wildens, John the Baptist, after 1615
- Adam Elsheimer, John the Baptist, 1605
- Cesare Da Sesto, Madonna and Child with the Lamb of God, cca 1515
- Josefa de Óbidos, The Sacrificial Lamb, cca 1670 – 1684
- Anton Mauve, Shepherd and Sheep, cca 1880
- Lucas Cranach the Elder, The Garden of Eden, 1530
Literature and fiction
- Fictional sheep (Wiki)
Sheep in moviesFictional sheep (Wiki)
- Shaun the Sheep (web)