Plane (aircraft) - Dream meaning and symbolism
Main symbolic meaning
The symbolic meaning of an air-plane is closely bound to the essence of a car, but the main difference is that the air-plane is able ascend to heaven. Dreams about flying, floating or levitating are in general symbolical for high aims, spiritual aspiration and sexual arousal. When you are dreaming of flying with a plane, you have to take into account the modern, technical and complex aspects of every aircraft. Thus aircrafts are very "human" in its essence; they are "artificial" inventions – unlike horses that represent natural means of transportation.
The question is obvious: why don't you spread your wings like a bird? Simply you can't, because you are human. That is the reason why we dream about planes as artificial means of flying (one from the highest achievement of the human technical endeavour)
- Spiritual aspiration – flying is an attempt to untie the earthly bounds of your body and ego. Dreaming about flying with an air-plane is an symbolical step: trying to escape the everyday routine, struggle and harsh reality.
- Divinity, risk taking, extreme experiences – The fall of Icarus is a very good mythological example of the human desire to overcome all limits and to achieve god-like abilities. Flying with an aircraft in a dream may be the "promotion" among the members of the heavenly crew (Zeus, Pegasus winged horse etc.). But people are not genuine gods in reality. They are at most able to overcome gravity and master the laws of physics. Thus flying with a plane may be challenging but a bit dangerous as well.
- Sex and orgasm – the famous Freudian hypothesis is that flying in a dream is a metaphor for sexual arousal (high altitude meaning excitement) or, in men's case, symbol of erection (shape of the plane is phallic).
- Freedom and unbridled fantasy – when you are flying in a plane, your feet are not touching the solid ground. That is symbolical for being disconnected from the earthly reality and enjoying freedom and creative talent to the fullest.
Pilot / Passenger
Are you a passenger or a pilot? It always matters who is in charge of the aircraft, who controls it and who is therefore responsible for the flight. The meaning of being the pilot is the rational control. If you are not the pilot, it means you don't have your fantasy, arousal or invention in your own hands and under proper control – you are just a (passive) passenger in a story, that others manage for you. Thus the air-plane may be a symbol for a project and life path with high ambitions or achievement, dynamism, using modern technical means, and accompanied by lofty thoughts.
Dreaming about landing often means your target is (or will be) completed. The circumstances of the landing are symbolical for how successful and enjoyable such finish really is (or may be). Dreams where the airplane is landing means that feet of all passengers will touch the ground again – more stable and solid foundations in life are approaching.
Dreaming about taking off is typical for the beginning of new project, venture, fantasy or romance. Feet of the pilot and passengers are leaving the "mother earth". You are losing the solid ground.
Having a ticket is often a necessary condition for entering a plane, unless of course you travel in a private jet. When you dream of losing the ticket, it may simply mean that you see obstacles, that hinder or make impossible to enjoy your spiritual mission, your inventiveness or your bold plans.
Falling air-plane (crash, collision)
Are you in a falling plane? Or are you just witnessing the crash of an aircraft from the distance? Your character may be important for understanding your proper role in your dream as well as in the real life. The meaning is derived from understanding, how much are you involved in the crash (directly, indirectly or by no means). The dream is like a mirror showing you what you feel and how you experience the reality.
Other characteristics of the plane and flight
You should pay attention to all details of the plane and characteristics of the flight in your dream. Do you dream of a combat aircraft, a fighter plane, a jumbo jet or just of a light aircraft? It may be symbolical for the type of your "mission" in your real life? (Military plane meaning very stressful offensive tasks, passenger plane meaning common secular efforts ...). Is the plane manoeuvring heavily or flying directly and peacefully? (Meaning it is easy to direct and communicate with other members involved in your effort ...). Is the plane overloaded with cargo or baggage? (Meaning to bear heavy burdens while solving the task ...). Is the plane flying at low altitude, in fog or with low fuel? (Meaning the circumstances are unfavourable, unclear or you don't have enough energy ...).
Inspiring art with air-planes or flying.
- Rick Herter - an artist with a pilot's soul
- Mark Postlethwaite - aviation artist & author
- Andrew Harris - aviation artist
- Carlos Garcia - aviation marine art oil paintings
- Stephen Brown - aviation artist
- Guild of Aviation Artists (UK)
- 1920s aviation art (Etsy)
- 1920 aviation photographs (Google)
- Top 10 Greatest Airplane Movies